Sunday, April 3, 2011

Tofu Stir Fry


So, I've been making stir fry for a couple years now without a recipe, but even after all the variations I came up with (beans, tofu, every kind of vegetable), I got sick of my once-favorite dish. I found this tofu stir fry recipe, and decided to try it since it has some of my favorite vegetables along with soy sauce and lime juice. It was really easy - the only thing I altered was that I used red chili flakes instead of fresh chilies because I couldn't find the fresh ones at the grocery store. Also - I followed the recipe and only used half of the red pepper, but it definitely would have been okay to use the whole thing.


3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
12 ounces firm tofu, patted dry, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
3 shallots, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 carrot, cut in matchstick pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut in 1/2 inch thin strips
1 cup green beans, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh red chilies (or red chili flakes to taste)
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat and add 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil. Add tofu and stir-fry for 4 minutes, turning carefully, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and reserve.

Add remaining oil to wok. Add shallots and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute. 

Add carrot, red pepper and asparagus and stir-fry for 2 minutes. 

Add soy sauce, lime juice, chilies, sugar and pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

Return tofu to wok and cook for 1 minute, or until combined and heated through.

Original recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment