Sunday, April 17, 2011

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting



Today was a beautiful Sunday in Cambridge, so I took the opportunity to run around Fresh Pond with Dave, but afterward I was itching to bake some cupcakes. I went to "Cupcake Camp" (http://www.cupcakecampboston.com/) last Wednesday with some friends from work, which was basically an all-you-can-eat-cupcake-extravaganza. I've been trying to stay away from the cupcake craze (why are cupcakes better than cake?!) but at Cupcake Camp, I nearly died and went to heaven upon tasting a red velvet cupcake. I've never been a huge red velvet fan, but this cupcake was chocolately and moist, and was pure bliss.

Yesterday, I went to HomeGoods (my favorite store on Earth) to purchase a mini cupcake tin, and after driving through annoying Somerville traffic and picking out the perfect cupcake tin, I got to the register and realized I had forgotten my wallet! Not the greatest start to a Saturday. I thought about going back yesterday or today, but couldn't bring myself to it. Therefore, I was left with making normal-size cupcakes. Sad. 

Anyway, I am happy to say my first red velvet-making experience was not a disaster, like my first layer cake experience. I somehow managed not to dye anything in the kitchen red (after using an entire bottle of red food dye). The batter was beautiful (see below....)



At my apartment, one of my roommates has a hand mixer, but I usually don't use it because the lowest speed is pretty strong (and therefore generally causes any liquid to cover the kitchen). Normally, to cream butter and sugar I just melt the butter in the microwave and then stir in the sugar. However, for this recipe the batter was pretty lumpy, so I had to use the hand mixer. The mixer was also helpful for the frosting.

BUT great news!!! Yesterday, the KitchenAid Classic stand mixer was on sale for $179 at Macy's, and my mom picked one up for me in Salem, NH (no sales tax!!). It is sitting and waiting for me at home in Andover, where we will happily unite in less than a week when I am home for Easter. I can't wait.

Now, after that long-winded talk about cupcakes, here's the recipe....

For the Cupcakes
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2½ tablespoons red food coloring (I used one 1 oz bottle of it, which is 2 tablespoons)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk (or milk and lemon juice or vinegar, see how to)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar

For the Frosting
1 stick butter, at room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Directions

For the Cupcakes:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Turn mixer to high and add the egg. Scrape down the bowl and beat until well incorporated.

In a separate bowl mix together cocoa powder, vanilla and red food coloring to make a thick paste. Add this to the batter, mixing until completely combined. You may need to stop the mixer to scrape the bottom of the bowl, making sure that all the batter gets color.

Turn mixer to low and slowly add half of the buttermilk. Add half of the flour and mix until combined. Scrape the bowl and repeat the process with the remaining buttermilk and flour. Beat on high until smooth.

Turn mixer to low and add salt, baking soda and vinegar. Turn to high and beat a few more minutes.
Divide the batter evenly into the lined pan and bake for 20-25 minutes (12-15 for minis), or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, and then place on a cooling rack to cool completely.


For the Frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the butter and cream cheese on medium-high speed until well incorporated and smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape the bowl down as necessary. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the confectioners’ sugar until all is incorporated. Increase the speed and whip until the frosting is light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary.

1 comment: