Thursday, April 7, 2011

Baking FAIL.

So, I got a bit overconfident in my baking abilities and decided to make my FIRST layer cake for a work-friend's birthday.
BAD IDEA. I usually do fine trying new recipes, but this was a whole different process than I've ever tried before. Should have stuck with a plain pan-cake (ha, ha).

I found this great moist chocolate cake recipe on foodess.com, and it looked simple enough. The cake-making part was very easy, but when it came to taking the cakes out of the pans, there was epic failure. The cakes stuck to the bottom of my greased non-stick pans and crumbled everywhere.
I tried to fix the problem by covering everything in frosting, but this didn't work out too well.....
I had to make 2 batches of frosting to cover all of the madness, and by the end I had a counter covered in powdered sugar/cocoa powder/lots of crumbly cake, and a cake that looked like a big mound of I-don't-know-what.

Thankfully, everyone at the office thought the cake was delicious, as did I, but this recipe is going to get another shot. I bought 2 circular cake pans, and I WILL make the layer cake work!!









1 comment: