Sunday, October 30, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpea Wheatberry Salad


I made this a month or so ago, when I was trying to find some new recipes with wheatberries. I really enjoy wheatberries, but it can be hard to find good recipes for them! This isn't my favorite recipe and I may not make it again - but it was definitely good to try. I'm not a huge fan of red onions, and this had a bit too much red onion in it, which was minorly overwhelming.

I remember I didn't follow the ingredient list very well - I used a whole can of chickpeas, a whole red onion, and a whole butternut squash (no idea how much it weighed) - so this may have been better if I had stayed true to the recipe. I don't like to throw food away, and if I had used 1/4 cup of the red onion, I probably wouldn't have found another use for it. I do this often and it's usually a non-issue, but, I can't cheat all the time and get away with it! :) I also tend to not measure spices if there are many different spices to measure and add - I can be pretty lazy sometimes!

Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpea Wheatberry Salad

1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 pound squash (peeled, seeded and cut into bite sized pieces)
1 cup wheatberries (cook as directed)
1 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup red onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons cilantro
1/4 cup tahini, lemon and yogurt dressing

1. Toss the squash in the oil, salt and pepper to coat.
2. Bake in a single layer in a preheated 400F oven for 30 minutes flipping once in the middle.
3. Mix the squash, chickpeas, red onion and cilantro and top with the dressing.

Tahini, Lemon and Yogurt Dressing

2 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup cup Greek yogurt (or regular plain yogurt)
1 clove garlic (grated)
salt and pepper to taste
* olive oil or water

1. Mix everything and add olive oil or water to get it to the desired consistency.


Original recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment