Sunday, March 20, 2011

Avocado Frozen Yogurt



What better to do on a Saturday morning when your car is getting fixed? Make ice cream!!

My roommate has an ice cream maker, and I've been planning on using it for a while. I stumbled upon this avocado frozen yogurt recipe, and knew it was time to experiment.

Bottom line: this recipe incorporates a lot of lemon and lime, and certainly tastes more like lemon and lime than avocado. Also, it requires a lot of tools, so be prepared to do a lot of dishes.

The original recipe calls for vanilla extract, but does not tell you when to put it in. I think it's supposed to go in before the egg, because that is the order it is listed, but who knows. I added it.

I had a hard time finding whole milk yogurt, and ended up using Faje Total (greek yourt). I definitely did not have 1 tbsp of both lemon and lime zest, because I hate zesting, and I zested just one lemon and 1 lime. I'm also pretty sure that I let the egg curdle, because my mixture never coated the back of the spoon after 8 minutes and I turned the heat up on the stove top. I think this was okay since I strained it...

Anyway, all issues aside, the "frozen yogurt" (made with whole milk and whole milk yogurt) is certainly yummy. However, when it freezes completely, it gets rock hard, so it needs to be thawed for a bit before you can eat it. Try it, if you're up to the task!

No comments:

Post a Comment