Sunday, September 25, 2011

"Vegan" Cornbread


Another great Moosewood find. I don't know if I've ever had vegetables in my cornbread - but I definitely don't hate it! You can leave out the veggies and just make a regular cornbread (if you do this, the bread will likely bake in 20-25 minutes). This recipe is supposed to be vegan and use soymilk - but I didn't feel like buying soymilk just for this, and used regular skim milk instead.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup whole grain cornmeal (I just used regular cornmeal)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1/4 cup packed brown sugar or maple syrup
1.5 cups soymilk (or milk)

1/2 cup finely chopped scallions or chives
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell peppers
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly oil an 8-inch square baking pan or a 9-inch pie plate.

2. Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the wet ingredients, and add the scallions, peppers, and corn. Stir just until mixed. (I generally don't mix the wet and dry ingredients separately when I bake, and it has always been fine. I did stir the dry ingredients together first, then add the wet.)

3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the bread pulls away from the sides of the pan, 35 to 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment