Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lime Colada Cupcakes


A few weeks after getting my new STAND MIXER (see previous post), and after my final exam, I had no plans for Saturday night and decided it was time to break in the mixer. (Obviously in an ideal world, I would have used the mixer right away, but studying got in the way.) I didn't feel like going out to the grocery store so I had to find a recipe for which I already had all of the ingredients, and I found this one online (I think on Tastespotting). The only think I left out was the coconut milk, because I didn't have any, but the frosting was still delicious. I also had bought a new mini cupcake pan, which I filled first, but I still had extra batter to make 8 large cupcakes.

Lime Pound Cake Cupcakes
Makes 15 cupcakes or one loaf pan
Ingredients
  • 2 sticks salted butter
  • 2 1/2 cups cake flour (I used all-purpose)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. salt
Instructions
Pre-heat the oven to 350*F.
Place the butter in a small saucepan and melt over low heat, and then whisk the warm butter so no milk solids remain. Mix the melted butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer until the sugar is well-dissolved. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the lime juice. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk in 3 additions. Mix until just combined, then scoop into lined cupcake tins or one 9″ x 5″ loaf pan. Bake until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes for cupcakes, 45-50 minutes for a loaf pan. Allow to cool completely then frost. 

For the frosting: "Best Buttercream Ever" (substitute coconut milk for milk, and add a 1/2 cup of coconut flakes).

Original recipe here

No comments:

Post a Comment