Monday, August 22, 2011

Cheesy Black Bean and Pepper Enchiladas


I haven't blogged in quite some time - I've actually had this recipe ready to post for almost a month, but haven't gotten around to it.
Work and life in general has been crazy over the past month, and I have been cooking, but haven't had any time to post! Granted - I've stuck with some of the same few recipes to get through the hot days...I have a great soba noodle salad recipe and a wheatberry salad recipe that I'll post soon.

Anyway, these enchiladas are great. I bought spicy enchilada sauce, and it was certainly spicy!! I suggest using small tortilla shells, as I used the large kind and there was a low filling to tortilla size ratio. Also - mix with your hands....you sort of need to, and it's awesome.

8 tortilla shells
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temperature (reduced fat if you want...)
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 can enchilada sauce
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
2 jalapenos, sliced thin (optional)
chopped cilantro for garnish


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl combine black beans, cream cheese, bell pepper, onion, spinach, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly using a spoon or your hands.

Lay your tortilla flat and spoon 2 tablespoons of filling in center. Roll up tight and place in large greased baking dish. Fill and roll all 8 shells and lay side by side in baking dish. Top with enchilada sauce, shredded cheese and jalapenos. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted and slightly browned. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over enchiladas before serving.

Original recipe here 

1 comment:

  1. I made this a while ago and loved it, though I used cottage cheese instead of cream cheese. Then I lost the recipe somehow! Nooooo! But I’ve found you again :D Yay!

    ReplyDelete